There are a number of different options to choose from when invest in a security barrier for your business. You could choose a high security fence, bollards, wedges, and more. If you have decided that a security barrier is what you would like to use, it’s important to know which type you need. Here’s more information on the difference between active and passive security barriers.
Active Security Barriers
These barriers help to secure the premises by blocking off a specific path. What makes them active is the fact that they are able to be opened or moved when somebody needs to pass through. Some common examples of active security barriers include:
- Drop Arm Barriers: When you try to enter or exit a parking garage or private lot, you may have to go through a drop arm barrier in order to do so. These are the beams that extend out across a road to block access until it is granted. Some private residential communities will have these and they require proof of residency for entering. With parking garages, you may have to pay before you are allowed through.
- Temporary Fencing: These active security barriers are commonly used for construction sites or outdoor events to temporarily block off a certain area. When temporary fencing is up, you are not able to access that area, but it helps to direct traffic elsewhere and can easily be taken down and moved when it isn’t needed anymore.
- Wedge Barriers: These wedge shaped security barriers don’t actually block an entrance. Instead, it just forces vehicles to slow down to get through a certain area. Most commonly, it is a steel plate that is angled towards an approaching vehicle.
Passive Security Barriers
These barriers do not move and are meant to permanently protect an area from any interference. Here are some examples:
- Terrain: Using a certain type of terrain in front of your building can help to protect it from vehicles. It can be hard for most vehicles to drive over rough terrains. This makes it so that even if a vehicle does lose control, it won’t make it into the building itself.
- Bollards: Security bollards are short, vertical structures that are made to protect buildings from any damage that can be caused by a moving vehicle. These are typically used for businesses located in high traffic areas or high profile buildings that could be subject to terrorist attacks.
Contact Hercules GSA Today For Your Security Barrier!
Whether you need a security barrier or a high security fence, Hercules Fence GSA can do the job for you. We have been providing professional, quality service since 1955 and work to uphold our reputation everyday. We have locations across the Maryland and Washington Metropolitan area and are ready to cater to your fencing needs. Give us a call at (410)-799-1555 or contact us online. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter,LinkedIn, and Pinterest for more updates!